[meteorite-list] NPA 09-05-1930 Paragould Meteorite Falls and is Dug...

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Feb 27 01:51:02 2005

Paper: The Herald
City: Chicago, Illinois
Date: Friday, September 5, 1930
Page: 1 (of 32)

METEOR FALLS AND IS DUG UP IN ARKANSAS

38 per Cent Magnesium Found in 900 Pound Star Fragment

     Harrison A. Kincaid, Palatine Township High School science instructor
who has just returned from a summer spent at Williams Bay on Lake Geneva,
Wisconsin, the site of the University of Chicago's Yerkes observatory,
reports that the largest meteor yet seen to fall and was dug up in Arkansas
early this summer.
     Its weight was over 900 pounds although larger have been found, none
larger was ever seen come to earth and then dug up from where it had been
buried by the force of its impact upon striking the earth.
     Prof. Willey, Yerkes observatory authority on meteors and comets
visited the scene and obtained data on the phenomenon and the meteor for the
observatory. The meteor itself is now in the Field museum in Chicago.
     A railway engineer who saw the meteor on its rush towards the ground
stopped at the next town and reported that an airplane had fallen in flames,
so great were the flames and brightness. Many other tales of the phenomenon
are told by those who saw it.
    An analysis of the meteor made by Prof. Willey showed it to contain 39%
magnesium. Magnesium being the main constituent of flash-light powder, one
can easily see how the dazzling light and flame was produced as friction
caused by the meteor's rush through the air heated it to white heat.

(end)

The "other" Fayetteville article I have is basically the same so I guess I
won't post it. So how about a just transcribed Paragould instead?

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.