[meteorite-list] Re: [not so] OT: Hunting the Harper - Parts 1-4

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Feb 27 06:01:36 2005

Hello Rob and List,

There are two aspects of aircraft crash debris on dry
lakes that make this subject of more than passing
interest to those of us searching for meteorites.
Those of us who are proponents of theories that
meteorites can move or migrate on dry lake beds have
the possibility to use the debris at these crash sites
as test case studies.

For example the debris at the 40+ year old crash site
on Red Lake playa in Arizona raises some questions.
Although this well documented crash site was
thoroughly cleaned up of debris, there are some rather
massive aircraft parts that appear to have "come to
the surface". Is this the result of deflation (the
level of the lakebed eroding down) or is this an
indication of of some poorly understood process, such
as "frost-heaved" rocks in permafrost, that can
migrate large rocks to the surface?

In regards to the lateral movement of rocks across a
lakebed, the tight halo of the debris around these
crash sites offers negative evidence to this
phenomenon. Much to my chagrin, I can see very little
movement of this debris over the last 6 years at these
crash sites.

More observatios are needed. I've recently found what
appears to be an "old" crash site on Willcox Playa,
Arizona. I'm still researching this one in an effort
to find out when this crash occured. I'm hoping that
my aircraft debris-locating acquaintances can help me
out with this information.

Bob V.

[meteorite-list] OT: Hunting the Harper - Parts 1-4
Matson, Robert ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com
Sat Feb 26 23:03:30 EST 2005

Hi Bob and List,

Haven't seen anyone else chime in yet, but I wanted to
thank your forwarding this 4-part aircraft debris
story to the list. Very enjoyable -- particularly
since I've been to Harper Dry Lake a few times hunting
for meteorites so it was easy for me to visualize the
areas described in the story!

As you say, too bad they weren't trained to look for
meteorites as long as they were out there, since it's
the same basic problem.
On the flipside, I suppose I should keep a sharper eye
out for old military debris while hunting for
meteorites -- certainly seem to be plenty of aircraft
wrecks in and around the Mojave.
(Cuddeback Dry Lake was the site of a military crash
also). --Rob