[meteorite-list] NPA 02-14-1999 Meteorites for Valetine's Day, Darryl Pitt

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Feb 27 15:14:01 2005

Paper: Syracuse Herald Journal
City: Syracuse, New York
Date: Sunday, February 14, 1999
Page: A-12

This Valentine's Day gift is out of this world

     Looking for an unusual gift this Valentine's Day? Try bidding on one
of more than 50 meteorites - including slivers from Mars and the moon -
being auctioned in San Francisco and Los Angeles today by Butterfield and
Butterfield, an auction house that specialized in natural history material.
The "crown jewel of meteorites," a 31-pound chunk, is estimated to go for
around $230,000.
     Many of those meteorites come from the collection of Darryl Pitt, a New
York music executive who has tried to turn the more common iron meteorites
into objects of art.
     For Pitt, meteorites, are a passion he wants to spread to art
collectors who have no interest in science and science-oriented children who
have no interest in art.

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.