[meteorite-list] Questions the List may be able to help with.

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Feb 28 15:55:35 2005

Hello Adam and List,

> appears to be a shock darkened, fresh chondrite with metal veining.

Could this be a Farmington piece (L5, black; fragmental breccia)?

> Has anybody heard of the Cook Collection?

The "Catalogue of Meteorites" mentions a Cook Collection:

The determination of a number of trace elements in two unidentified meteorites
(Cook and Cook 6089) from the Cook collection is reported, L. Greenland and
J.F. Lovering, GCA, 1965, 29, p. 843. A magnetic study refers to Cook 6064,
F.D. Stacy et al., J. Geophys. Res., 1961, 66, p. 1523. The Cook collection was
purchased by the South Austr.Mus. in 1945 and included several undocumented
meteorites, D.W.P. Corbett, Rec. South Austr. Mus., 1968, 15, p. 767.

> My second question is in regards to the Harrisonville, Missouri L6 chondrite.
> I believe it was found as 14 separate specimens weighing in at 12.9 Kilos.

Hmm?!? That's what the Catalogue says. On the other hand, there is a lot more
material in collections (cp. Catalogue of Meteorites) than can be accounted for
if 12.9 kilograms is the TKW.

Best regards,

Bernd

To: raremeteorites_at_comcast.net