[meteorite-list] CBN blades

From: Michel Franco <michel_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 3 05:18:53 2005

Hello list;

I have some experience in cutting as I had an order of 4000 stamp size
slices for new year's Eve cards ! I was cutting Sahara 02500 L3.

Before this mass cutting I had used CBN or diamond blades since 1998 in
cutting meteorites. I have 3 blade saws from 4 " to 15 " diameter. The
smaller with adjustable speed. The 2 bigger with high speed. Several home
made sample holders.

TRo cut these stamp slices I cut thick slices 12 to 15 mm thick with a 1.8
mm 405 mm dia diamond balde. Then I prepared bars from the slices, either
with 0.4 or 0.6 mm thin CBN or with 1 mm thin Diamond blade. then I sliced
up the stamp size using both techniques.

 Definitly CBN blades do not last long. I started cutting with CBN, ran out
of blades, ordered new blades, ran out again, and finally finished the job
with an old diamond blade 1 mm thin.

I have made all experiences possible with cutting oils, speed etc.

Diamond blades last more than 50 times more.They are a bit thicker but their
longlife compensate by far the slightly higher cut loss.Another aspect is
the cutting time. Diamond blades cut much faster. I was able to cut 500
stamp size pieces a 8 hour work day using 3 CBN blades, and I cut 1500 stamp
size slices with my usual Diamond blade, still in good cutting shape in the
same time.

My conclusion is CBN blades cut when new, but do not last long at all. They
are quite expensive and I will not recommand these CBN blades even for stony
meteorites.

You can use them for very expensive material, useless for mass production,
or if you cut a lot of material. Your cutting time becoming a factor you
must take in consideration.

CBN do not like high shock level, at all.

My 2 cents

Michel