[meteorite-list] triolite inclusions

From: John Keefner <jk_unlimited_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 3 12:54:06 2005

Hi all,

A quick question regarding rounded troilite inclusions in iron meteorites...

I believe FeS has a significantly lower melting temperature (around 1000
degrees C) than the Fe-Ni alloy (around 1450 degrees C) that make most iron
meteorites. In a cooling planetismal, wouldn't one expect that troilite
would be the last dregs of molten liquid remaining in the cracks between
crystallized Fe-Ni? If that were the case, wouldn't troilite be expected to
be a 'filler', with an elongated morphology? So, why does troilite occur in
rounded inclusions?

Perhaps rounding from grain boundary diffusion occurs on a long time-scale
or the blebs are an indication of late stage impact melting and rapid
cooling... I'm not sure that I buy the surface tension idea where troilite
separates out from an ocean of liquid Fe-Ni alloy.

Thanks,
John