[meteorite-list] Great to be poor!

From: Charlie Devine <moonrock25_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 3 16:47:09 2005

They are ONLY rocks, Tom. You can't take them with you even when you
can afford only the best, and if you do take them with you, the
graverobbers will soon do their thing:-) They are ONLY rocks, the
objects of desire. Desire is never satisfied. Get a new rock, enjoy it
for a short time, and desire returns. A large or valuable meteorite
collection will never be the foundation of true happieness. Desire
attaches itself to the objects it desires and demands to be fed still
more. Give ebay a break for a spell. Stop looking at meteorites for a
spell. What did you do before you discovered it was possible to own
meteorites? Did you miss acquiring them when you didn't realize you
could acquire them? I stopped buying meteorites a year and a half ago.
I don't miss spending money on meteorites at all. I'm a non-collector
too.
I still enjoy the science. I enjoy seeing beautiful specimens. But I
never find myself saying "gee, I wish I could afford that one". I
stilled the desire. Of course, I doubt dealers would like it if my
philosophy took hold:-)

Charlie