[meteorite-list] Troilite inclusions

From: Bernhard Rems <bernhard_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 3 17:47:40 2005

What I have found so far:

A non-magnetic form of iron sulfide (FeS) found in a variety of meteorites.

Some troilite is thought to have formed at a 988oC eutectic point in Fe/S
melts, where native Fe and troilite form simultaneously. Some troilite is
devoid of native Fe, so this must have formed directly from a sulphur-rich
silica melt. As well as late-stage crystallization, troilite may occur in
solid rocks, where the partial pressure of sulphur increases rapidly. Some
Apollo 16 rocks appear to show this, where native Fe has been "sulphurized"
during shock metamorphism from meteoroid impacts. Primary troilite usually
has less Ni and P, and more Co than that of troilite of meteoritic origin.

The mineral troilite is actually stoichiometric pyrrhotite. Pyrrhotite
ranges in composition from Fe7S8 through to FeS. Most terrestrial pyrrhotite
lack some iron. The troilite end-member (FeS) occurs mainly in meteorites
and lunar samples.

Fe7S8 is monoclinic (pseudohexagonal), whilst Troilite (FeS) is hexagonal.
Non-stoichiometric compositions are due to missing iron atoms, and not the
replacement of iron atoms with sulphur.

Ni, Co, Mn, and Cu can substitute for Fe. Such impurities have never been
found above 1wt%, in lunar samples.

Many specimens of pyrrhotite are ferromagnetic (i.e., capable of acting as a
magnet). This effect decreases as the ideal composition of FeS is reached.
Troilite is ideally antiferromagnetic.

Pyrrhotite is decomposed by HCl (releasing H2S) whereas pyrite is not.
Troilite is attacked more readily by dilute nitric acid than pyrrhotite.

Both are opaque in thin section.

Bernhard