[meteorite-list] Troilite inclusions

From: fcressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 4 12:50:12 2005

Zelimer asked:
"Indeed, after a rapid checking through some textbooks on
hand, I did not find any terrestrial occurrence for troilite.
Does anyone know for some ?"

I believe the "type" locality of terrestrial troilite is located in Del
Norte California (northwesternmost California). According to Minerals of
California -Bulletin 189 of the California Division of Mines & Geology
(1966, p. 374):
"Troilite was found massive in a sheared zone of serpentine, in a copper
claim northeast of Cresent City. It was analyzed and described by Eakle,
p.77. It contains inclusions of magnetite from which it has probably been
derived. This is the only known terrestrial occurrance of troilite. It has
been observed previously in meteorites."

I believe it has also since been found in other areas, but do not have those
references at hand.

Incidently, I have a 72 gram specimen of troilite from this locality: not
really the most beautiful girl at the dance ;-)
Kind of looks like the remains of a dead Nantan or, at best, Canyon Diablo
iron shale.
 Hope this helps.
Frank