[meteorite-list] Re: diamond wire ( was CBN blades)

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 4 16:47:17 2005

Hi Marcin, Michel and all,

I have experimented using this type of wire saw. I used Gibeon and
Odessa. The problem with it is meteorites are not homogenous and there
is variation in the resistance of the meteorite causing the wire to
break/melt when the values change. If a way to monitor the changes in
the meteorite were possible, then it might cut really good and doesn't
loose much material.

My experience was it kept breaking requiring an expensive operator to
monitor the cut the whole time rather than setting it and walking away
and the expense of the operator didn't warrant using that cutting
method. It also leaves an very thin burnt layer that would have to be
sanded down but it in no way would be as bad as having to sand or grind
down on a specimen that had real bad kerfing in it from a wondering saw
blade.

My best to all in 2005!

--AL Mitterling

Meteoryt.net wrote:

> Hey
>Its usualy used in factories to cut machine elements from all kinds of iron.
>Its controled by computer, so its have great precise. It use wire make from
>eeeeee Molibden if I remember correct. This wire not cut. It only conduct
>electric power that cut iron. So here is no any pressure on specimen.
It can