[meteorite-list] A Call For A New Meteorite List

From: Anita Westlake <libawc_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 5 16:01:39 2005

Dear List:
   I consider myself a "newbie" in the meteorite world as a collector and as
a list member. I have never said an unkind word to anyone on or off list,
and I use the delete key with obscene regularity.
   I don't really have a problem with all the negativity; it hasn't quelled
my enthusiasm one bit. What I don't like is getting 300 email messages over
a two-day period with a lot of responses to previous emails like "Me too" or
"I agree".
   In a perfect world, if the subject line truly reflected the crux of the
email, I could delete with total abandon and only open the emails that were
relevant to my particular curiosity. But we don't live in a perfect world. I
accept that. I also accept that people don't always act their age. (I know I
don't).
   I guess what I'm trying to say is, for me, this is about meteorites.
Anything else is just a meteorwrong, and I delete it. No fuss. No muss.

Anita

Jim Strope said:
This list should be a comfortable place where we can send new collectors.
But.......it is not. For the last couple of years I have NEVER EVER
recommended this list to a new collector. And I never will until the BS
stops. This is a sad commentary on the present condition of this meteorite
list.

New collectors are usually pretty happy with their new hobby until they
stumble upon this mailing list. Just ask Blaine Reed the feedback he gets
from his mailorder collectors once they get on line and discover this forum.

I belong to another mailing list which is backpacking related and I tell you

this..........the crap that goes on here would never be tolerated.
Offenders are warned once and then banished for life.

THIS LIST NEEDS RULES WITH TEETH!!!!!!!

Jim Strope
421 Fourth Street
Glen Dale, WV 26038