[meteorite-list] A Call For A New Meteorite List

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 5 20:02:15 2005

Hi Jim and all,

I certainly agree with what you have to say and wish that the rules
would be honored for the most part (I doubt there will ever be a perfect
forum). In reality when list members have approached Art on this, it
seems to fall on deaf ears. Art could certainly appoint someone to keep
things reasonably civil, maybe contacting offending parties before
action would be taken. However to date nothing like this has ever happened.

Those claiming censorship probably don't agree that we have police on
the streets to enforce laws so, (a) they don't hurt themselves, (b) they
don't hurt others and (c) are removed from the streets when they don't
get the message.

There has been a group of people who have been suggesting a new list
with a moderator. I think that we would get a core group of people from
the old list and past members. When the suggestion was made about two
months ago in a private email, there was an overwhelming support by
those getting this private email. Bernd posted some of the comments when
people were fighting on the list last round.

People that want to sling mud would stay on the current list and some
would probably remain on both lists but if we can generate something of
quality then maybe we could bring the bulk of the meteorite list to the
new list and leave the trouble makers behind.

Wishing we had more gentleman as yourself Jim!

--AL