[meteorite-list] A Call For A New Meteorite List

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 5 21:45:43 2005

David Freeman" wrote

> <snip> Fixing good wheels is better than reinventing them.

I agree, it's pretty difficult to replace something that's already in
place. And where would the money come from? - it would take a lot of
work to moderate the list. I think it's just going to take discipline
from each list member to follow the current rules. The list seems
pretty friendly at times, and so it's easy to bring up off topic stuff
here - I know I've made a few really good friends here. I almost made
an announcement of a discovery on New Year's Day related to meteorite
hunting, but decided it was inappropriate.

We may need a few more rules and place them with the other rules.
Maybe even a guideline on editing emails, etc.

e.g. just like we're supposed to place AD or Advertisement to a
subject line, we should use OT or OFF TOPIC in a subject line (then it
would be easier to ignore stuff that isn't of interest). And maybe
some other "standard subject lines".

But if many of the rules are already ignored, it may not help. I
think everyone who has been guilty in the past of violating rules
should review the rules, and make a better effort in those rules. I
should have not posted on the "please edit emails" and made my
inquiries OFF LIST. I'm convinced I would have learned the same
information just the same... Bad Mark, Bad!

I would hate to see the list start to break up and the alternate site
start up and not get off the ground.

Happy hunting, collecting, etc

Mark
--