[meteorite-list] From the Admin - Please Read

From: Art <blurtheline_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 5 23:02:13 2005

Good Evening All;

In light of recent discussions, I'll first include a couple of points
from an email I sent out last year:

The List IS what it IS -- with the current model, the state of the List
really depends on the people who use it. I don't have the time to
officially moderate the List (review and approve every post) in a way that
would be acceptable; allowing for the timely approval of postings. I also
don't have the time to assume a more active role as the List "policeman".
There are many days that I can't even find the time to read any posts, much
less read every line of every post to make sure everyone is abiding by the
policies. What I can do is follow threads at a high level (I also often
receive private complaints and do look into them) and then take action if I
think it is appropriate.

List membership is optional -- if a subscriber finds the posts more
trouble than good, they can un-subscribe. Over the past several years I've
subscribed to many email lists dealing with many subjects, and the amount
of noise is always directly related to the amount of traffic (in the
information age that just seems to be the way it is). So I deal with the
good info. and the bad, and then if the noise gets too high I leave that
list before I allow it to affect my interest in the subject matter
involved. I would think most would take this approach.
<<<<

The line to take to heart: "the state of the List really depends on
the people who use it". Unfortunately, the mailing lists that provide
the most content are the ones with the most noise. Fortunately, it's
nothing that a few simple email rules or the delete button can't take
care of.

But ... if a majority of members are serious about making the List
moderated (this has not been the case to date), I am open to
discussing the idea with a few individuals who would be willing to
help out ... but I will say that none of the moderated lists I am on
get anywhere near the interesting content we do (moderated lists
always have subjective moderators).

Best Regards, Art