[meteorite-list] NPA 09-29-1965 China Claims Discovery of Meteorite (Hejing Meteorite?)

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 7 10:38:07 2005

Paper: Reno Evening Gazette
City: Reno, Nevada
Date: Wednesday, September 29, 1965
Page: 22

Communist China Claims Discovery Of Meteorite

     TOKYO (AP) - Communist China says it has discovered a 30-ton meteorite
in the Gobi Desert containing six "cosmic minerals."
     The report, carried by the New China News Agency said the meteorite was
the third largest in the world. The agency said, chemical analyses of
samples from the meteorite "show that its chemical composition is: 88.67 per
cent Iron, 9.27 per cent nickel, and cobalt, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur,
copper and other elements.

(end)

The Hejing Meteorite was found in China during 1965 and this article may
refer to it. I do not have enough information on Hejing to confirm or rule
it out.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post, is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article and is for quick
reference.