[meteorite-list] Santa Catharina colors - question

From: Meteoryt.net <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 10 16:50:09 2005

Hi all
Can anyone explain me why shale from Santa Catharina have that many colors ?
Becouse this was ataxite so there was no inclusions. I think that different
colors represent places that contain different ammount of nickel (25-50%).
Thats correct ?
Here is example of Santa slice.
http://www.polandmet.com/gfx_santa_catharina/009.htm

I have also nice endpiece from Wolf Creek in my collection where is 12mm
troilite inclusion that looks identical to this orange parts from S
Catharina. Thats why I asking what it is and why this looks similar to this
inclusion from a verry different meteorite.
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/wolf1.jpg
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/wolf2.jpg
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/wolf3.jpg

If anyone is interested I prepared many nice slices from Santa Catharina.
Most of them are finished on 1200 powder only becouse polished slices looks
really ugly and dark. This is my first meteorite that looks better
unpolished :)
http://www.polandmet.com/_santa_catharina.htm

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com