[meteorite-list] LANL: Meteor Could Cause Big Tsunami

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 10 22:45:22 2005

Hi,

    Newspaper science strikes again! Or is it reporter science?
    The impact of an 800 meter asteroid "near" Florida (300 kilometers?) would
produce a wave more 10 feet tall? Duh!
    This is an impact with more than 35,000,000,000 tons of TNT equivalent and
would displace the ocean to a depth of 3500 meters in a "wet" crater 15 kilometers
across.
    The tidal wave at the Florida cost would be hundreds of meters high (if not
thousands)! It would kill every human inhabitant of Florida and most all the
gators! You could stand on the highest point in Florida (near Micanopi) and watch
it roll right over you (if you were anchored in concrete) hundreds of feet above.
    Can we persuade Sue to go there and report on it if it happens?

Sterling K. Webb