[meteorite-list] [OT] Huricane

From: Bjørn Sørheim <bsoerhei_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 11 14:18:49 2005

Hello Lars,
As I have also great interest in weather watching, I kept following
this storm/hurricane all day yesterday.
I discovered it coming on Thursday on the Internet weather models,
and posted a warning message on a norwegian scientific usenet group.
I got a lot of bullshit back, as thanks!
Incredibly enough there are no weather groups on the norwegian
and danish usenet!! This is a scandal!
The center of the storm passed right over the southern part of Norway.
But it turned out the worst winds were at the western and southern part
of the center, epecially since the wind from the Nort Sea unimpeded
could hit the coast and flat landscape of Denmark and west coast of Sweden.
The mountainous landscape of Norway protected it.
So not too much damage in Norway, 20,000 households without
power, some trees down, some serious flooding.

I see that 11 people in Denmark/Sweden has been killed + 3 in the UK.
Really long time I have heard of such death tolls.
Maybe the people don't believe storms/hurricanes can be really
dangerous anymore. And they have to much they MUST do a given day,
so they keep going outside at any rate.

Hope you recover soon,
Bj?rn S?rheim,
in Norway