[meteorite-list] Tektit "Muong Nong" and cutting

From: James Tobin <jimmypaul_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 12 22:47:48 2005

Dear List,
Paul and I have several large pieces of Muong Nong that we have been cut and
polished to near optical flatness. It is a long and difficult process taking
about 60 hours. First grinding on a vibrating lap and then polishing on a
wet lap charged with cerium oxide. Polishing is about 40 hours of the 60.
But the lap s can handle several pieces at the same time. The results are
fabulous. I don't know if the specimens are currently in our catalog at
meteorite.com but maybe we can feature them as the Tektite of the Month in
the next Meteorite Times.

The polished surface is so flat that the microscopic differences in strain
on the glass that are relieved at the edges can be seen in the surface. They
have been at our tektite parties maybe some of the attendees can comment
further. It has been one of the most challenging and rewarding things Paul
and I have done with the vast amount of Muong Nong we have. Wish we had time
to keep the lap running more.

Looking forward to seeing many of you at Tucson. Cheers, Jim