[meteorite-list] Possible Mars meteorite!

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jan 13 14:47:28 2005

If confirmed, it can be named, but won't need any special designation like
"Aresite"... it will simply be another asteroidal meteorite, this one found
on Mars. It would be wrong to call it a Martian meteorite because the
adjective refers to the place of origin, not the place of find. We already
have several meteorites that were found on the Moon, both named for their
place of find (Hadley Rille and Bench Crater). Something tells me the
NomCom would waive the type specimen requirement.

jeff