[meteorite-list] Mars Rover Discovers A Potential Meteorite

From: Nicholas Gessler <gessler_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 14 23:59:31 2005

Hi Jeff, et all,

Looking closely at the new odd rock (aka "meteorite") on Mars, I'm struck
by what appear to be very clearly delineated ventifact markings. I have
seen this a lot in certain desert localities. They are oriented, as one
would expect from a desert wind (e.g. the rock sits flat-side down and the
wind and sand ablation comes across it's length). One would not expect the
orientation of flight ablation markings from a meteorite to follow this
pattern. They should be somewhat radial. Has it been suggested that the
"spherules" are also wind artifacts? The Derrick Peak Iron shows none of
these.

Cheers, Nick