[meteorite-list] Re: . . . Things to see near Tucson

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 17 23:38:16 2005

Keith posted:

>>> Titan Missile Museum

Dave posted:

> My dad used to be an electrician at this site . . . I'd very much like
> to see this site

Dear Dave, Keith and Tucson-bound Listees:

I'd like to second Keith's fine recommendation for the Titan Missile
Museum. Geoff Cintron and I visited two years ago and it's a great
half-day trip from Tucson. "Star Trek" fans -- and I know you're out
there -- will be doubly interested in this museum, as it was used as a
set for the movie "Star Trek: First Contact" (yeah, it was the launch
silo for Zefram Cockram's experimental warp drive rocket).

Also, the Pima Air and Space Museum, just at the southern edge of
greater Tucson, is stellar. I've been TWICE in the past six months. The
list of aircraft they have there is almost endless, but fellow space
program nuts will definitely want to see the Super Guppy (used to fly
the Saturn 5 booster to Cape Kennedy) and one of two actual B-52s that
launched the X-15 to the edge of space. Not to mention JFK's private
plane, a B-17, an immaculate B-29, a family of MIGs and . . . well,
literally, you could spend the whole day there.

Details: http://www.pimaair.org

In the gift shop, you can even buy old cockpit instruments from
scrapped B-52s and such, so don't spend all your $$ at the Gem Show :
)

It was 78 degrees and sunny today in Tucson -- not a cloud in the sky
-- so we're hoping for similar weather for the show.

Regards to all,

Geoff N.
Tucson, AZ