[meteorite-list] Mars Opportunity Rover Finds a Meteorite

From: Gerald Flaherty <grf2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 19 16:00:44 2005

Ron and List
I was thinking(and quite frankly allowing my imagination free reign)? If the
meteorite fell when Mars had a thick enough (and I'm not sure how thick is
thick. Those scienists among us might like to quantify those parameters) to
produce those classic regamglypts, this object might have fallen tens or
hundreds of millions of years ago.
If a thicker atmosphere is necessary to produce the spectatular thumb
prints, this same thicker atmosphere would also weather the object and
reduce some of the marvelous relief shown in the photos as is the case on
earth.
This year's research has admirably identified "rivers of H20", maybe seas
and .....(who knows... tsunamis??) on the Red Planet.
Should we think that the meteorite fell cooincidently, at the cusp of the
transition between thick and thin atmosphere and was thus spared some of the
worst erosion? Or that perhaps the transition from thick to thin was even an
abrupt phenomenon.(a warning message from our late neighbors in space WATCH
THOSE EMMISIONS EARTHLINGS! ... uhmm huma ha ha ha a-a-a!!!
Jerry