[meteorite-list] Opportunity Rover Finds an Iron Meteorite on Mars

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 19 19:32:12 2005

Way to go press folks Ms. Gretchen deserves a congratulations...for an
honest assessment..., now I would say meteorites are getting the respect they
deserve, and the press releases are ore in touch with reality of meteorites!!
saludos, Doug

En un mensaje con fecha 01/19/2005 5:41:19 PM Mexico Standard Time,
baalke_at_zagami.jpl.nasa.gov escribe:
"This is a huge surprise, though maybe it shouldn't have
been," said Dr. Steve Squyres of Cornell University, Ithaca,
N.Y., principal investigator for the science instruments on
Opportunity and its twin, Spirit.

"I never thought we would get to use our instruments on a
rock from someplace other than Mars," Squyres said. "Think
about where an iron meteorite comes from: a destroyed planet
or planetesimal that was big enough to differentiate into a
metallic core and a rocky mantle."