[meteorite-list] Tips on etching?

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jan 20 04:10:16 2005

Darren,

I would use 'Ferric Chloride' solution (available from electronics
stores , as it is used for etching electronic circuit boards). Ferric
gives a sharper etch and is way safer than Nitric acid.

This is the quick way...

1) Polish the iron slice to a deep shine (preferably like a mirror),
wash all traces of metal polish, grease etc off with alcohol or hot soap
and water (i.e Just make sure it's got no fingerprints or grease on it).

2) Using a cotton wool pad, wash the face to be etched with the ferric
chloride so that it becomes covered in a thin layer of the solution.
Keep finger prints off the etched face, wait for a few minutes.

3) Repeat as required until you have a decent looking etch, then wash
the iron clean in alcohol or hot soapy water to remove all traces of the
ferric chloride.

4) Soak the iron in alcohol mixed with a few tablespoons of sodium
hydroxide (caustic soda) this helps slow down rusting, by neutralizing
any remaining acid and rust compounds.

5) Dry in a warm place (warm oven but not too hot) for a few hours.

6) When totally dry add a good coating of gun oil while still slightly
warm to help prevent rusting.

There are other ways to do this but this way works fine for me, its not
rocket science...

Best
Mark Ford