[meteorite-list] Hajar al-Aswad/ "black stone of Mecca"

From: Norman Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jan 20 10:53:41 2005

Darren & list,

There may be an indirect means to get a look at a
piece of the black stone. Years ago I visited the
Suleymaniye Mosque in Istanbul. In the forecourt of
the mosque are some tombs. Over the door to the
Sultan Suleyman tomb (I think that was the one--),
readily accessible, is what is purported to be a piece
of the black stone, built into the stonework. I knew
essentially nothing about meteorites at the time, but
this has always haunted me. If any list members make
it to Istanbul, remember this and check it out for
us---

Cheers,
Norm
(http://TektiteSource.com)