[meteorite-list] Meteorite On Mars....Congrats NASA

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jan 20 17:53:39 2005

> >concentration fairly accurately. Actually this is the second meteorite found
> >on the mission. The first one was the rock that had identical chemical
> >composition to EETA79001."
>
> Hey, waitaminute! I just did a search on EETA79001 because none of the other articles on the Heat
> Sheild iron have mentioned this other meteorite, and EETA79001 is a Martian meteorite!

Yes, EETA 79001 is a meteorite because it landed on Earth. One of the Mars rovers
found a rock named "Bounced Rock" that had a very close match to EETA 79001.
However, "Bounced Rock"is not a meteorite - it is a native Mars rock.
EETA 79001 is a Mars meteorite because it originated from Mars, but was
found in the Antarctic. You do have to distinquish between a Mars meteorite, and a
meteorite found on Mars. They are not the same thing.

The iron meteorite nicknamed "Heat Shield Rock" is the first confirmed
meteorite found on Mars.

In summary:

EETA 79001 - Mars meteorite found in the Antarctic
"Bounced Rock" - Mars rock
"Heat Shield Rock" - Meteorite found on Mars

Ron Baalke