[meteorite-list] Meteor Impact Theory Takes a Hit

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jan 20 22:22:55 2005

Hi,

    All these "the asteroid didn't do it" papers are a good sign. I remember
the more than 10 years it took to swing opinion on the Cretacious-ending
event. We had all the same "but, but, but" proposals. We were told that the
number of species of dinosaurs had been declining for millions of years ---
they were going to die off anyway and that big rock was just a coincidence!
    Not mentioned in this press release is another study of the Permian
extinction that came out this week, claiming that oceanic bacteria poisoned
the Earth. This is reminiscent of the prominent dinosaur scholar who
insisted all the varieties of Cretaceous life that died off were killed by
diseases from allied and migratory species. They just got sick and died and
that big rock was just a coincidence!
    Pitiful. The theory that a species can be extinguished by diseases from
its own species has been around for two centuries despite the fact that no
one has ever found any evidence of any species extincted by disease, ever.
But I must admit I admire the "bacteria poisoned the earth" theory: a new
high in whacky.
    And vulcanism as a world-ending event has been a favorite catastrophe
since the latter XVIIIth century and is always the first and favorite "not a
rock" theory. The only old medieval crap still not popular is The Flood!
    And what could be more stylishly a la mode than a theory that global
warming caused The Great Dying? Obviously, this massive extinction was
caused by the inability of amphibians and reptiles to draft a Permian Kyoto
Treaty!
    And why do only we get the "cute" headline style? Impact Theory Takes A
Hit? Why not, Disease Theory Gets Sick, or Volcano Theory Blows Up, or Global
Warming Theory Cools Down?
    My point being: bring on the silliness. We have to get through it, so
the sooner the better. And yes, we have to prove an impact. But I remember
the long gap between the iridium excess and the discovery of Chixilub during
which there was a "yah yah you have to prove it" paper or review every few
months for years and years in response to each new piece of evidence that was
not a crater, the propose of which was not reiterate the obvious 500 times
but to say in effect "I will not believe in your rock until you show it to
me."
    As for the slow progression toward what comes to recognized as a
fundamental reality, remember: paradigms, or "systems of the worlds" as
Gallileo called them, do not die; only the individuals who support them.
    We may naively believe that scientific truth is the same everywhere, but
even that is not true. For example, British geologists, and the Australian
geologists who were their students, were still resolute about asserting the
volcanic origin of the craters of the Moon into the 1980's! (Meanwhile,
British astronomers are standing there shaking their heads in dismay.) One
of my treasured possessions is an Australian geology text published in 1978
that is absolutely vitriolic in asserting for three chapters that there is
"no evidence of any impact on the Moon." (The author also denied impact
craters on Earth, too.) I love it!
    Anyway, the old farts die or retire and everyone politely forgets their
imbecilities. That's how opinions "change." The amazing thing is how long
it takes knowledge to percolate through the dried clay of human thought.
It's been four centuries since we figured out that comets were in space not
the atmosphere, four centuries since we saw the craters on the Moon, two
centuries since we admitted that rocks can fall from the sky, two centuries
since we discovered the first asteroid, not to mention everything learned in
the last 50 years, and still it's "Tut, tut, big rock? I don't think so."
    Pitiful.

Sterling K. Webb