[meteorite-list] Heat Shield Rock and DRPA 78001

From: Dr. Svend Buhl <SvendBuhl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 21 17:01:31 2005

Hello list,

for those who enjoy viewing some selected meteorite pictures I have uploaded another series of images to my gallery page including Karkova, ALH81005, Norton County and Heat Shield Rock:

http://www.niger-meteorite-recon.de/en/meteoriten_galerie.htm

While loading the image of the Heat Shield Rock I felt reminded to Derick Peak 78001 by the striking surface similarities. Both irons seem to show a similar weathering pattern. On DRPA 78001 the ablation process in the glacial environment caused heavy abrading of the protruding burrs and edges while the inner regmaglypts remained sharply defined.

To me it seems that Meridiani Planum Heat Shield Rock shows comparable signs of mechanical ablation. But I am not really convinced that what we see is the result of sand blasting alone. I rather tend to believe that fluvial transportation of the meteorite was involved or at least temporary flooding of the find location.

thanks for your comments

Svend

www.niger-meteorite-recon.de