[meteorite-list] NPA 07-12-1939 Dresden Meteor Seen from Detroit, 2

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jan 23 12:10:02 2005

Paper: Nebraska State Journal
City: Reno, Nevada
Date: Wednesday, July 12, 1939
Page: 1 (of 11)

TERRIFIC BLAST ROCKS SECTION

Termed Most Brilliant Seen in Years

     DETROIT, July 11 - (AP) - A huge meteor flashed through the sky over
Detroit Tuesday night and was consumed with a terrific concussion at
approximately 1,000 feet altitude 18 miles north of here near Mt. Clemons.
     The meteor, a giant ball of flame with a tail trailing behind in the
shape of a carrot, roared over the outlying metropolitan district with such
force that thousands of residents believed it had struck the ground.
     The sky lighted up at 8:50 p.m. for several seconds and the noise of
the projectile was heard as it vanished in a great puff of smoke before it
reached earth.
     Felix Holt, news editor of radio state WXYZ, descried the meteor as a
"tremendous ball of fire"
     "It appeared to pass east a few blocks away from me while I was riding
with my wife 12 miles north of the city,' Holt said, "It was a gigantic
flame which lasted for several seconds."
     Police headquarters was swamped with telephone calls inquiring about
the meteor. The only information police had was what witnesses told them. A
woman reported that a lake freighter had blown up on Lake St. Clair.
     The flaming meteor, which once was a star that had wandered within
range of the earth's atmosphere, was seen and heard over a radius extending
at least 100 miles.

(end)

This article is a lot like the last article, but has a different witness
quote from Holt. I have about 20? Dresden papers, most versions of the
same.....but diffferent witness quotes are always a good thing, and the
reason I am posting this.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.