[meteorite-list] Mongolian Meteorite Association :-)

From: Dave Mouat <dmouat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 25 13:42:21 2005

Howdy Listees
After a fairly long absence, I must weigh in on this. The "Gobi" Desert
occurs in both China and in Mongolia. The letter apparently was sent by a
person from Mongolia. As such, the Chinese Government is not the pertinent
governmental body in charge of permits or export. Second, the word "gobi"
refers to a type of desert (more or less like the word "reg" in the Middle
East and North Africa) characterized by the presence of wind (and sometimes
water) ablated pebbles. In my experience in the provinces of Gansu and Nei
Mongol (aka Inner Mongolia) in China, most of the rocks exposed at the surface
have that wonderful patina of desert varnish that we have all become so fond
of. In my office is a ventifacted and varnished rock (I even polished a
corner to make sure that it wasn't a meteorite) from hyperarid western Gansu.
It sits right next to a ventifacted, varnished, meteorite from NWA. They look
very very similar. It would be difficult to prospect for meteorites in gobi.
Now Sinai (where I just came back from over the weekend) is a different story.

Take care you all
Dave (1116)