[meteorite-list] Fireball over Spain : the meteorite has been found !

From: martinh_at_isu.edu <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jan 29 10:45:38 2005

Hello List,

The news of another meteorite fall is great! Last year was a tie for the lowest number of witnessed falls over the past century. And what kept 04 from taking over last position was that a beautiful individual hit a house in New Zealand.

With an annual average of between six and seven falls per year (high=18, low=1), we are already ahead of schedule in 05 even if the doubts surrounding the rock in Spain pan out.

For those interested, I wrote a column in Meteorite Magazine about the lack of falls in 04 in an article titled something like ?Is 2004 the year of the missing strewnfield?? I wrote it in June for the August issue, and by that time there had already been a number of prominent sightings including the Colorado fireball and the Washington/Oregon bolide, but nothing was ever recovered from those events.

Anyway, as the facts continue to surface surrounding the suspected Spanish meteorite, there is one downside, we were in what was likely the longest string
of house/building impacting meteorite falls with, prior to the Cambodian fall, which if I remember correctly, is three of the last four or four of the past five falls hit things. Maybe we just have too many things?

Cheers,

Martin