[meteorite-list] STILL not clear - Park Forest Meteorite, Winslow St. House

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jan 29 12:54:29 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:37:05 -0600, "MARK BOSTICK" <thebigcollector_at_msn.com> wrote:

>It is hard to argue that Park Forest is priced high. However, with Park
>Forest there was just enough to fill demand. You do not see people
>continually dump the meteorite, and pretty much every piece picked up
>early...was instantly placed in private collections. I don't see people
>listing their Park Forest pieces for Tucson money. I haven't seen much at
>shows. On the other hand, we have seen some Park Forest sell in the $10
>range....since most filled this spot in their collections. I don't think
>any of this was fresh Park Forest. But if you bargain shop and hold out, you
>can find a deal.

You don't see much on Ebay, but if you Google around you find multiple web sites selling it-- for
$25 to $50 a gram and up. And, seeing how the pieces listed there for those prices stay on the web
site listed there at those prices rather than being sold, it seems to me that this would mean that
they are priced beyond what people are willing to pay for them. I know that much of the reason for
the high price is the high price the dealers had to pay to the finders at site, but still, those
prices seem insane to me for something that isn't of an exceedingly rare type.