[meteorite-list] Question about western USA

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jan 31 13:19:04 2005

Hi Pierre,

> As I'm preparing a 3 weeks long trip to the western
> states (California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada), I'm making
> a budget and would like to have your help on the
> following point. I'll be renting a Chevrolet Blazer SUV
> and would like to know the average price for a fuel load
> (it consumes 22MPG I think) or the price per gallon of
> fuel. Maybe some list members have the same vehicle or
> a similar SUV ?

I drive a Nissan Pathfinder which gets better gas mileage
than the Chevy Blazer -- for predominantly highway driving,
I get between 21 and 22 MPG. I doubt the Blazer gets better
than 19. Your mileage will be slightly lower since you'll
be doing some dirt-road and lakebed driving. I'd assume
about 17-18 for the Blazer on average.

Gas prices vary quite a bit by state and within each state.
ARCO and Chevron tend to be the cheapest in southern California,
where you can find 87 unleaded (fine for the Blazer) for right
around $2/gallon. It's maybe ten cents cheaper in southern
Nevada. Northern Arizona is cheaper still -- perhaps $1.70 to
$1.75/gallon. Don't know about Utah; according to Martin's
link, gas in St. George (southwest Utah) can be had for around
$1.85.

People in our country like to complain about high fuel prices,
but anyone who has spent time in Europe or the UK knows that
our gas is quite cheap by comparison. --Rob