[meteorite-list] rock on the noggin story

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 3 14:52:07 2005

Hi Sterling and all,

Good post on the hot and cold issue. It's my believe that most
meteorites are cool to the touch when they fall. However and as in life
there are always exceptions. Apparently the Portales Valley New Mexico
fall had specimens that were hot to the touch. One of these meteorites
landed on a tarp and melted the tarp. Unfortunately the finder pull the
melted tarp off the meteorite. You can still see plastic from the tarp
melted on the meteorite though. I believe the meteorite is in the
possession of Blaine Reed (last I talked to him).

Years ago on the list we had the hot/cold debate. People have pointed
out a number of exceptions of meteorites being hot. In some cases they
get that way when they create friction from penetrating objects like
wood in houses. Noblesville was said to be warm to the touch when Brodie
Spauding and his friend picked up the meteorite just after the fall.

I one time had a hard time believing in the exceptions to the rule. I
now believe that some specimens coming down (and as Sterling has pointed
out) are a reality.

--AL