[meteorite-list] Meteorites - warm or hot to the touch? - A Re-post

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 3 15:04:24 2005

AL wrote:

> Years ago on the list we had the hot/cold debate. People have
> pointed out a number of exceptions of meteorites being hot.

01) The Binningup meteorite was recovered within a few minutes
    of the fall and was reported to have been warm to the touch.

02) Cabin Creek: Three hours after the fall, Mr. and Mrs. Shandy were able
    to find the hole and excavate the mass, reportedly still uncomfortably
    warm.

03) Glatton: was warm, not hot, when first picked up.

04) Gurram Konda: ... but near the tent some small warm
    stones, which the Sentry has seen falling down.

05) Juromenha: ... The mass was said to have been incandescent
    when discovered and still warm when recovered next morning ...

06) L'Aigle: Affrighted persons who picked them up found
    the stones to be very warm and smelling of sulfur.

07) Limerick: It was immediately dug up, and I have been informed by those that were
    present, and on whom I could rely, that it was then warm and had a sulphurous smell.

08) Middlesbrough: The stone was "new-milk warm" when found, ...

09) Noblesville: The meteorite was not glowing as it passed the boys and
    was "slightly warm" when Spaulding picked it up a few seconds after it
    fell.

10) Pettiswood: The affrighted horse fell to the Earth, and two boys rushed to him in
    terror carrying fragments that Bingley found to be warm as milk just from the cow.

11) Pontlyfni: When I picked up the fragment of metal, or whatever it is, it was warm in my hand.

12) Rowton: It is, moreover, stated that when Mr. Brooks found the mass "it was quite warm."

13) Tsukuba: Seconds later student Ryutaro Araki stopped to retrieve
    a still-warm stone that had fallen in front of his car near Tsukuba

14) Wold Cottage: Rushing to the spot he found a large stone, warm and smoking and smelling of sulfur.

15) Crumlin: When dug out the object, which had embedded itself in a straightdownward
    course for 13 inches, was found to be quite hot, continuing so for about an hour.

16) Eichst?dt: The man rushed to the spot but found the
    black stone too hot to pick up until it cooled in the snow.

17) Hanau: A hot stone the size of a pea was picked up, weight 0.37g.

18) Harrogate: A hot stone, like basalt, fell accompanied
    by whistling in the air and lightning and thunder ...

19) Holbrook: One piece larger than an orange fell into a tree in a yard at
    Aztec cutting the limb off slick and clean and falling to the ground, and
    when picked up was almost red-hot.

    Von Achen, who saw them fall, reported that they were too hot to pick
    up. Two accounts state that they became lighter in color after cooling.

20) Luc?: ... several harvesters, startled by sudden thunderclaps and a loud
    hissing noise, looked up and saw the stone plunge into a field where they
    found it half-buried and too hot to pick up.

21) Magombedze: A 10-cm stone weighing approximately
    600 g survived the impact intact and was hot to touch.

22) Menziswyl: The farmers say that the stone fell with the lightning and
    shattered when it hit the ground; it was hot when they picked it up.