[meteorite-list] Meteorites - warm or hot to the touch? - A Re-post

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 3 15:13:28 2005

Warm is one thing- it is quite easy for a mass in space at around 1 AU to be
warm- it is sitting in full sunlight, after all, and has no efficient way to
get rid of heat. But I'm not buying stories about stones on the ground being
incandescent, or even too hot to touch. Obviously, cool is most likely given
the several minutes most stones spend exposed to a blast of -40?C air.

There is nothing more unreliable than an actual witness to a fall.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com