[meteorite-list] Meteorites - warm or hot to the touch?

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 4 09:40:41 2005

This is such a fascinating subject for which many theories could hold merit
and it's very interesting to hear them all. One thing that would lead me to
believe meteorites are 'generally' not HOT is the function of ablation. My
rudimentary understanding is that it's not the meteorite itself that gets
hot, but rather the super heated/compressed air in front. This in turn heats
the surface of the stone which is then immediately ablated away. I would
assume that's why meteorite fusion crust is also comparatively so thin. It
seems ablation is a very efficient way of removing heat/energy and there
really might not be an appreciable rise in temperature throughout the
interior. Obviously this would depend a lot on the size of the stone too.
And the shape! I bet there would be a significant difference between highly
oriented meteorites and a "normal" shape.

Cheers,

Jeff