[meteorite-list] 80th Anniversary of Henry Ward Death - Post 1

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 4 12:21:02 2005

Hello Everyone,

Happy 4th of the July. Thanks also for Bernd's kind comments yesterday.

Today is the 80th anniversary of the death of Henry A. Ward. Meteorite
collector and naturalist. I posted an article about six months that told of
his death, but did not get into the how. The papers I will be posting today
will give that part of the story.

Some other Henry Ward newspaper articles can be found on my website.

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/znphenryward.html

Like always, PDF's available upon request.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
www.meteoritearticles.com
http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

Paper: The Lima Daily News = Democrat.
City: Lima, Ohio
Date: Thursday, July 5, 1906
Page: 1 (of 8)

WIFE FAINTED

And Chanifuer Kept Right on His Way.

After Knocking Down An Aged Man and Killing Him With Machine.

IT WAS AN ACCIDENT.

Charge of Manslaughter Is Placed Against Driver of the Auto.

Victim a Noted Naturalist and a Collector of Meteorites.

     Buffalo, July 5 - From the story told by witnessed it apears that Prof.
Henry Augustus Ward, the Chicago naturalist and collector of meteorites who
was killed here yesterday by being run-down by an automobile, was crossing
Delaware avenue when the automobile bore down on him. It was going swiftly
and was close to the curb. Prof. Ward, who was an elderlyman, either did
not hear the approaching car or else he became confused. It struck him
squarely and his body was shoved along in front of the car as it turned into
Virginia street. Then it dropped to the payment and the automobile
continued on its way as if in flight.
     Gunning, the chauffeur was charged with manslaughter. At the station
house he said: "It was an accident. The machine was not going very fast.
I did not see the old man soon enough to stop. He started as if to cross
Delaware avenue and I thought he would go ahead. Then he turned back right
in front of the car. I could not help hitting him."
     Asked why he did not stop after the accident, Gunning said: "My wife,
who was with me, fainted. I was so upset I ran ahead and tropped to revive
her. Then I ran back to Delaware avenue intending to stop at police
headquarters. A policeman stopped me and we came here."

(end)