[meteorite-list] Deep Impact from Earth

From: Mark Miconi <mam602_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 4 22:41:19 2005

My son and I spent the night fishing Bartlett Lake in Cave Creek Arizona
last evening with my best friend in our float tubes. The sky was incredibly
clear. We saw 20 or more shooting stars but even with 10 power binos we
were unable to see anything of the comet. It may be because the largemouth
were biting like crazy and we really could have spent more time skyward.

On a sadder note the Cave Creek Complex fire has devastated the area. We
were there after the first part of the fire and though the undergrowth had
been burned there was lots left to recover. After the fire worked its way
back through the area last week it is a virtual moon scape. Only badly
browned Saguaros and the remenants of trees are left. My 11 year old son
cried when he saw the destruction. It is very unlikely that anything will
recover from the burn and it will take 20 years or more to regrown the
desert here and we may have lost 1000's of Saguaros including the largest
ever on record the "Grand One" which was badly scrorched and burned.

Anyone on the list that has ever been to Arizona or hunted in our deserts
will tell you there is nothing like it in the world. Two lightning strikes
rekindled what some moron with a car originally started when they parked on
dry brush.

Mark M.
Phoenix AZ