[meteorite-list] This person can't do this right?

From: Frank Prochaska <fprochaska_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jul 5 19:22:37 2005

        This item has been taken off of Ebay now, so I don't know what it
looked like. However, I don't know that a trip to the arctic would be a
"stupid expedition" any more than a trip to some farm land, a hot desert, or
any other place might be. The Antarctic has some relatively small areas
that concentrate finds from relatively larger areas, but these other
examples of hunting places don't have concentration mechanisms per se,
either.
        Places in the arctic that do not see continuous deposition (of snow,
etc.) would provide the same sort of surface to collect meteorites from as
the desert areas that do not see continuous deposition (of sand, etc.) with
the added bonus that contrast between a fusion crusted meteorite and the
substrate would be even better. People have experimented with collecting
expeditions in the arctic areas. I believe there is a published paper
somewhere on such a study in Greenland with respect to micrometeorites,
though I don't believe that it was wildly successful. One of the "smallest"
falls recovered, Revelstoke, one of only five CI meteorites (in the Catalog)
and with two pieces weighing in at only about a gram, was found only after
searching over a fresh snow field after the appearance of a fireball.
        I would grant you though that, while the hunting/camping conditions
in the hot deserts do not look all that appealing to me, the arctic appeals
to me even less.

Frank Prochaska