[meteorite-list] FIREBALL -- 1972

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 10 00:46:17 2005

Hi, All,

    A photo of the August 10, 1972 daylight fireball can be found at:
<http://faculty.rmwc.edu/tmichalik/atmosphere6.htm>

    A better photo of the same, though smaller, at
<http://www.stardome.org.nz/archived/famousfireballs.html>

    There is or was an 8-mm movie of the event, but I can't find it on the Web anywhere.

    A very complete description of the event, size, altitude, speed, and calculation of its orbit, can be found at:
<http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/1972.html>

    The object's "graze" path was about 1000 miles long, meaning the part of its orbit that was as close or lower than 60 miles or so of the Earth's surface. It was at its lowest point over Montana at about 35 miles up.

    Original mass estimate was 1000 tons if an iron. Revised estimates run from 4000 tons up to 1,000,000 tons if a stone. Of course, it wsould have lost a lot of mass if had entered the atmosphere all the way to the surface at a shallow angle.

    However, it did not "skip." Its orbit just didn't intersect the Earth's surface. If it had, a pretty much Hiroshima sized event or several would have resulted.

    It was "determined that it was very likely that this object would again come close to Earth within the period of 1997 July 30 to August 16, with August 8 being the most probable date. [It was} pointed out that if the crossing date was August 11, Earth would be in the same place and some encounter was possible."

    Orbital elements are a quarrel, but it could be back.

Sterling K. Webb