[meteorite-list] Next vacation: Rajasthan.

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 11 00:20:12 2005

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:50:43 -0400, MeteorHntr_at_aol.com wrote:

>***********
> says Dr Sisodia, who presented a paper on the subject at NASA.
>**********
>

>Would someone find the paper that the esteemed Dr. Sisodia presented at NASA? I would like to know what all it said.
>
>I would also like to know how much NASA grant money this researcher made on this project?

I can't find a reference to a paper by MS Sisodia on amino acids in meteorites presented to NASA,
but there are hits on Google to geological work done by MS Sisodia and studies involving meteorites,
such as this one:

http://abob.libs.uga.edu/bobk/ccc/cc061798.html

N. Bhandari*), S.V.S. Murty, K.M. Suthar, A.D. Shukla, G.M. Ballabh,
M.S. Sisodia, V.K. Vaya: The orbit and exposure history of the Piplia
Kalan eucrite. METEORITICS & PLANETARY SCIENCE, 1998, Vol.33, No.3,
pp.455-461

*) PHYS RES LAB, AHMEDABAD 380009, GUJARAT, INDIA

Cosmogenic radionuclides, particle tracks and rare gases have been
measured in two fragments of the Piplia Kalan eucrite that fell in
Rajasthan, India on 1996 June 20. The cosmic-ray exposure age of the
meteorite is calculated to be 23 Ma, which is similar to ages of some
other eucrites. The track density in feldspars and pyroxenes varies
between 0.2 x 10(6) to similar to 4.5 x 10(6) cm(-2) The mass ablation
of the meteorite, based on the distribution of track density in
near-surface samples of the two fragments, is calculated to be similar
to 75%, which corresponds to an entry velocity of similar to 17 km/s.
The orbital parameters of the eucrite have been computed from the
radiant of the meteor trail and the geocentric velocity. The best
estimates are a = 2.47 AU, e = 0.62 and i = 7.54 degrees, which is
similar to the orbital elements of other meteorites, most of which have
been inferred to originate within 2..6 AU of the Sun. The activity of
the radionuclide Al-26 agrees with the expected production rate;
whereas the shortlived radionuclides Na-22, Mn-54, Sc-46 etc. have
levels that are consistent with the galactic cosmic-ray fluxes that are
expected during the solar minimum period before the time of fall. All
the cosmogenic effects (ie., radio-and stable-nuclides and particle
tracks) are consistent with the meteoroid having had a simple,
one-stage exposure history in interplanetary space. Lower radiogenic
ages of U, Th-He (0.7 Ga) and K-Ar (3.6 Ga) indicate severe losses of
He-4 and Ar-40, as observed in most eucrites. A Pu-Xe age, concordant
with Angra dos Reis, shows that Piplia belongs to the ''old'' eucrite
group. Copyright 1998, Institute for Scientific Information Inc.