[meteorite-list] Murchison 2: Electric Boogaloo

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 13 00:07:26 2005

Of course, even if it is real, most of us wouldn't be able to buy a piece.

http://news.mcmedia.com.au/story.asp?TakeNo=200507135350467

Has a space rock hit Murchison again?

July 13 2005
Shepparton News

Has the space equivalent of lightning struck twice in Murchison?
A meteorite famously hit the town in September 1969 and Murchison antique store owner Betty Maslin
is hearing strange but similar accounts from residents about a loud bang at 9.15 pm on Saturday.

"Wouldn't it be a thrill if another one has hit, wouldn't that put us back on the map," an excited
Mrs Maslin said.

"Several people have described a loud bang and then hearing a sound similar to gravel falling on
their roof.

"I think it is highly unlikely, but you never know, we might have been hit again."

The original Murchison meteorite fell to earth on September 19, 1969, and is still the only observed
meteorite landing in Victoria.

The largest piece of the carbonaceous chondrite weighed 7 kg and contained numerous amino acids and
a variety of other organic compounds that are thought to have played a role in the origin of life.