[meteorite-list] Speculation Rife About Source of Murchison's Big Bang

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 13 20:05:40 2005

http://news.mcmedia.com.au/story.asp?TakeNo=200507145355343

Speculation rife about source of Murch's big bang
By Kristin Favaloro
Shepparton News (Australia)
July 14, 2005

Mystery has continued to surround an almighty bang that sounded in
Murchison on Saturday night.

While many residents have admitted to hearing a rocketlike sound
followed by a loud bang, most are at a loss to explain what really
happened.

Long-time resident Betty Maslin believes the sound was the second
meteorite to hit the town in less than 40 years.

In 1969 a carbonaceous chondrite struck Murchison, leaving many
fragments scattered near the town.

"I think is has to be a meteorite because nothing else could fall in so
many places," Mrs Maslin said.

Residents in Robinson, McKenzie and Stevenson Sts reported a sound which
reminded them of gravel falling on the roof - all at 9.15 pm.

Stevenson St resident Keith Carney said he was in bed when he heard a
rocketlike sound followed by the scattering of pebbles on a nearby roof.

He said his wife was outside at the time and saw something that looked
like fireworks or a cascade of lights sweep across the sky.

McKenzie St's Tino Catania heard a huge explosion.

"It was like a sonic boom . . . I went outside and had a look around,
but I couldn't find anything," Mr Catania said.

For Mary Shaddix of Robinson St, it was the flash through the window
that caught her attention.

"It was very strange," Mrs Shaddix said.

"We heard particles or something falling on the roof . . . I thought is
was a gun going off or an explosion."

As yet no residents have found any meteorite fragments.

Murchison police Senior Constable Ricky Keast said the incident had not
been reported to police, but confirmed he had heard the bang.