[meteorite-list] Pairings (?): NWA 1109 - NWA 1553 - NWA 2226

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 14 04:48:03 2005

NWA1109, NWA1553, NWA1644 and many others are all
paired. You can claim all you want about who is
qualified to make pairings but when the same meteorite
comes out of morocco all at once you know. Just dont
get taken in by dealers trying to make you believe
that the TKW is very low and you should pay $200
instead of $15 for theirs. As far as classification
goes its a very brecciated meteorite. Personally I
think it should be classified Eucrite/Howardite as its
on the border and can (And does) go either way.
Interstingly NWA1644 I had classified by MIT and it
came back eucrite (Under 7% diogenite material so they
wouldent give me an howardite classification) and i
sold a piece to a customer who complained that he
studied meteorites and this is not a meteorte as it
dont pass even the most basic meteorite tests (you
know - Dark, heavy, magnetic) and he sent it off to
some lab in germany to comfirm it was a meteorite. he
comes back to me many months later complaining again
that the classification that I told him was wrong (He
got howardite). After getting the report his piece had
11%). These two classifications were from the same
individual as NWA1644 is only one stone.
There is maybe 25 to 50 kilos of this stuff.
NWA2226 on the other hand is different looking.
Similar but it has inclusions like i have never seen
in NWA1109 and has yellow(ish) streaks. The colour is
slightly different also. My NWA2226 is close enough
that it could well be some weird inclusion within the
NWA1109 fall but my belief is that it is not paired.
Sometimes it is easy to tell pairings, sometimes you
need a lab report (And then it dont always work).
Wither Eucrite or Howardite NWA1109 and all of its
pairings is something that you want to have in your
collection.
Cheers
DEAN