[meteorite-list] Fall Patterns (& Latest Canadian Meteorite Find)

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jul 15 13:29:07 2005

Hi Bob, Steve and all,

Steve #1 wrote: The Smithsonian and the Canadians, had
miserable results with their "fireball image capturing
networks" over the long time they spent trying.

Without those results we wouldn't know that meteorites originated from
the asteroid belt. It was an impressive effort on their part. Perhaps
with modern equipment we could pin point a few falls better than they
could do back then with low sensitive films (low asa's) and bulky
equipment. One still needs to capture the bright fireballs then locate
the fall to get results. All of which make capturing falls with camera
networks difficult at best.

--AL