[meteorite-list] FW: Mars Odyssey THEMIS Images: July 11-15, 2005

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 16 23:35:14 2005

Hi,

    Everybody seems to agree on twin impactors. Twin impactors are no mystery.
Many binary asteroids have been identified.
    There are large asteroids with much smaller "moons" of their own (like Ida
and Dactyl) and asteroids where the two bodies are very similar in size size,
including very close binaries, even ones where it is possible that the two
bodies are actually touching each other as they revolve around each other.
Contact binaries, they're called.
    They are a small minority of asteroids, of course, but there have been a
good number identified. I would think a contact binary would be a good candidate
for the origin of these two similarly sized joint craters.
    I was impressed at how clean and fresh these craters look, the one on the
right particularly. They cannot be very ancient, despite the signs of a few
small impacts on their inner walls..
    They retain their deep conical shape, the shape of the blast cone, a
characteristic mark of a fresh crater. There is little debris accumulated on
their "floors," and their inner walls are remarkably uneroded and uniform.
    I see no reference as to their size on the page, but I get the impression
that they are bigger than, for example, Arizona's Meteor Crater, perhaps 1 to 3
miles in diameter (each).
    The "left" impactor seems to have been the smaller of the two, and the
triangular shadow in the left crater seems to indicate that the left rim of that
crater is elevated to a peak at the far side.
    Binaries, no doubt.

Sterling K. Webb