[meteorite-list] NPA 02-17-1930 NPA Paragould Meteorite Fall, Airplane Crash Report

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 17 11:26:46 2005

Paper; Decatur Evening Herald
City: Decatur, Illinois
Date: Monday Evening, February 17, 1930
Page: 1 (of 4)

Rumors of Airplane Crash Fill Morning for Vandalia's Sheriff

(Special to The Herald)

     VANDALIA, Feb. 17 - A telephone search of the district failed to find
Sheriff Charles Green any trace of the airplane which a dozen witnesses saw
fall in flames early Monday morning.
     The blazing airplane was sighted to the northeast of the city about 4
o'clock by (1) a traveler on the hard road; (2) a bus driver who left
immediately after; (3) a number of other persons, or people they know. It
was generally agreed that the ship fell on the farm of Herman Wiess, near
the county farm. Mr. Wiess said a plane hadn't fallen there all day.
     Sheriff Green phoned a dozen residents of the neighborhood, who said
they would watch for the plane. It would cost $50 to get another plane to
scout for the first one, and the sheriff said he didn't know where he'd get
the money.

(end)

The above article does not refer to an airplane crash....but instead were
sightings of the Paragould meteorite.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.