[meteorite-list] Bug alert

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 17 14:42:14 2005

Hi,
Well, I have asked this question on the list and also asked NASA, as to how
they can be sure they are sterilising their Mars Rovers properly ( ie 100%
sterile so as not to infect another world) and knowing life's propensity to
be tenacious I felt it has to be impossible - indeed - one of the many pics
I saw of the assembly of these probes showed technicians with hair and skin
exposed and indeed in one shot a coffee mug was visible.
I never got an answer - I knew, as a microbiology graduate, that this would
be an impossible task to carry out.

Seems I am not the only one who has thought about this....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-1697332,00.html

This article was in the Sunday Times today - can't say I'm too surprised
really.

Seems we have now started to pollute outside of our blue marble too - pity!

Best
dave
IMCA #0092
Sec.BIMS